Re: kde still sucks and gnome2 rocks why?

On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 18:39, Rob VanFleet wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 10:30:26AM -0500, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
> > That means twm may be the cat's meow for some, while someone else wants
> > Gnome on KDE with XPWE. Me, I run Gnome2 rather than KDE simply because
> > I prefer the look and feel, and the ability to load up panels with
> > applets - and since I run many gtk applications, many of the libraries
> > that Gnome calls upon are already loaded. Some non-Gnome applications
> > also call on gtk libraries, while I'm not familiar as yet of any non-KDE
> > program calling on KDE libraries, outside of the QT toolkit (which isn't
> > *really* KDE specific.)
>
> Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but GTK is *not* Gnome specific.  It's
> called the 'GIMP Tool Kit' not the 'Gnome Tool Kit'...
>
> Rob

That was what (rather poorly, it looks) I was trying to get across.
Gnome has the advantage of using libraries that are often used outside
of Gnome-specific programs, which I meant to imply should mean that
there is a tendency away from needing as much code specific to Gnome.
I'm also leaning to implying (but I don't have specific documentation)
that it would involve less total memory required for comparable programs
of Gnome versus KDE when called upon outside of their normal
environment, but with typical selection of common user programs running
(which involves implying *A LOT* - I should have typed a lot more
there,) as other gtk applications would be more likely amongst that
collection, particularly with Mozilla turning to gtk now.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org