Re: kde still sucks and gnome2 rocks why?

On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 09:53, Walter Tautz [MFCF] wrote:

> > > I'd love to hear an analysis of why gnome2 rocks and kde does not. Perhaps
> > > others would like to read about it :-)
> >
> > Oh for the love of god! Should I put this thread in my twitfilter now?
> >
> > --
> >         All people are equal,
> >         But some are more equal then others.
> >             - George W. Bush Jr, President of the United States
> >               September 21, 2002 (Abridged version of security speech)
> >

> > --
> >

> The intent was to get an analysis of the differences....alas this probably was
> a bad idea since these kind of things usually don't end up being an analysis
> but a contest who sucks least.... sigh

My own observation is that each desktop environment and window manager
is built with its own philosophy and design values, traded off with
programming and design ability extended to the development. Peoples'
preferences as to what they themselves use draws from their own
priorities of what matters to them individually - be it speed, size,
visual strengths or weaknesses, intuitive functionality, and choice of
tools. Those that don't fit as much with one's own relative weighting of
these values might be seen to be of increased "suckiness" ;)

That means twm may be the cat's meow for some, while someone else wants
Gnome on KDE with XPWE. Me, I run Gnome2 rather than KDE simply because
I prefer the look and feel, and the ability to load up panels with
applets - and since I run many gtk applications, many of the libraries
that Gnome calls upon are already loaded. Some non-Gnome applications
also call on gtk libraries, while I'm not familiar as yet of any non-KDE
program calling on KDE libraries, outside of the QT toolkit (which isn't
*really* KDE specific.) If I did use KDE applications, I'd probably be
of a moderately different view, but currently, none of them are on my
"favorites" list - that may change in the future.

Does that mean it sucks? Nah - not to someone like me that still likes
OpenWindows and FVWM in their own ways ;)
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org