mrtg and snmpd

<grumble> What misfortune has befallen these previously fine packages?
Snmpd has become so confusing and hogtied that it no longer performs
any function at all.. Does anyone know why?

I ran "snmpconf -g basic_setup" and was greeted with this:
Do you want to configure the information returned in the system MIB group
(contact info, etc)? (default = y):

Configuring: syslocation
  The [typically physical] location of the system.
    Note that setting this value here means that when trying to
    perform an snmp SET operation to the sysLocation.0 variable will make
    the agent return the "notWritable" error code.  IE, including
    this token in the snmpd.conf file will disable write access to
    the variable.
    arguments:  location_string

The location of the system:
Amazing. "typically physical" location? It's on the left side of the desk.
The questions get worse and worse, almost as bad as the documentation. The
only part of which I understood was that the S in snmpd stood for "Simple"
but I beg to differ.. sheesh.. How about a little help here... :-)

PS. I've a somewhat typical home MASQ system; a PPP dialup with a
static IP and running a DNS for the 2+ machines on the LAN. A basic
snmpd.conf file suitable for this would be most appreciated.

snmpd:
  Installed: 5.0.6-1
  Candidate: 5.0.6-1
  Version Table: