Re: forwarding gnutella ports with iptables

On 01/01/03 Alex Malinovich did speaketh:

> Nope, this doesn't work either. After spending the last 24+ hours
> messing around with this, I've learned at least one important thing. It
> seems that all ports over 1024 aren't being forwarded. I set up oftpd on
> my desktop system (behind the firewall) and set port 21 to be forwarded.
> Everything works fine. I set oftpd to run on port 6346 and then set port
> 6346 to be forwarded, and the request never makes it to my desktop
> system. Now the only problem is figuring out why this is happening and
> what to do about it. As always, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
> :)

    I would be very surprised if this were true. I forward ports > 1024 all
the time. You can confirm what is happening by sniffing on the NAT box with

tcpdump -i any tcp port 6346

    That should show both interfaces, and all tcp traffic on port 6346. You
should see the traffic coming in, and then being forwarded on.

Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix
HTML Email Considered Harmful: http://expita.com/nomime.html