Re: Graphics & Linux

On Tue, 3 Dec 2002 12:33:29 +0700, Oki DZ wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 06:57:07PM +0100, Burkhard Ritter
> wrote:
> > On Sun, 1 Dec 2002, Aedificator wrote:
> >
> > > Is there any graphics program for working with graphics in
> > > Linux as powerful as CorelDraw is?

The short answer, no. CorelDraw is the kitchen sink. You do stuff
like photo editing, vector drawing, even OCR (optical character
recognition) and media preview and management. You can
approximate this by using a variety of tools. For example, for
photo editing, use The Gimp. For OCR, maybe clara or gocr. Note
that all these free tools come short in highend functions like
color calibration.

> > Have a look at Sketch or (for _very_ simple things)
> > Tgif. Both are not as powerful as CorelDraw, but Sketch might
> > become in the future.
>
> What about OpenOffice.org drawing app? (www.openoffice.org).
> Debian version is available. But you have to download all of
> the office suite (~54 MB deb).

Why download another kitchen sink? I'm not particularly impressed
with the OpenOffice draw component. If you're a Gnome user, I'll
recommend Sodipodi <http://www.sodipodi.com/>. The program uses
the free SVG file format: "Sodipodi uses W3C SVG as its native
file format. It is therefore a very useful tool for web
designers." If you need convincing, look at:

http://sodipodi.sourceforge.net/index.php3?section=gallery/fame

If you're a KDE user, I would have recommended Kontour (the
program formerly known as KIllustrator). But recent versions I
managed to download from both KDE CVS and unofficial Debian apt
sites have been pretty borken. There's another KDE project called
karbon, which should be enough if you don't fuss around with
bezier curves.

[...]