Re: Will Gregg and Monica's computer support Debian?

On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 09:56:45AM -0700, Gregg & Monica wrote:
> I need to know if my computer can support debian....and I need to knwo if it
> will support the gui...here are my computers info...
>
> cyrix MII 266Mhz, 4gig hard drive, windows ME loaded and updated, sound card
> w/powered speakers, 2usb ports,scroll mouse, keyboard,56k modem, 24Xcd rom
> <needs drivers>, 32mb memory, video card has s-video, 2 open sdram slots
>
> thanks.....
>
> kyle

Comments:

You need another hard drive. 4Gb is too small (IMO) for Windoze, let
alone another OS. Plus, installing Linux on a separate drive reduces
the risk of damaging your Windoze installation. It's hard to get a new
HD less that 40Gb these days, and they're dead cheap, so that's what
I'd do.

Memory: if you can manage with 32Mb in Windoze, Linux should be OK.
However, I strongly recommend you stick 128Mb in one of your spare
sdram slots. Memory is really dead cheap at the moment.

Processor: your Cyrix is OK, but a secondhand Pentium of the same
speed is again dead cheap and likely to be more reliable. That's
nothing to do with the OS; Cyrix processors have a bad reputation for
overheating. Intel processors have much more margin in the specs.

Modem: if you can set it up as a "Standard Modem" in Windoze, it's a
hardware modem and you're OK. If it won't work without drivers in
Windoze, it's a "Winmodem" which are a bitch in Linux, but
decreasingly so.

CD-ROM "needs drivers"... they all need drivers to work in DOS mode.
Do you mean it won't work - at all - without special drivers in
Windoze? I've not heard of any CD-ROMs - especially recent enough to
be 24x - that Linux can't handle on its own.

Scroll mice can be a pain to get the scroll wheel working, but cross
that bridge when you come to it. The ordinary functions are usually OK.

Sound card, video card: make/model/chipset?

Are your USB ports used for your mouse and keyboard, or are they just
there, and your mouse/keyboard use "ordinary" ports?

Should we call you kyle, or Gregg & Monica? :-)

HTH
Pigeon