Re: trying out 2.4.19 w/pcmcia+DHCP debian woody

    "debian-user" == debian-user  <nate> writes:

    debian-user> woah! yes it's true! I am trying 2.4.19 on my laptop!
    debian-user> I figured what the hell, I mean worst case my system
    debian-user> gets hosed and I lose everything. nothing on the
    debian-user> laptop I need so, screw it, why not ..

    debian-user> anyways, quick question. PCMCIA works fine, however
    debian-user> dhcp didn't load on boot. I built the pcmcia drivers
    debian-user> directly into the kernel, and my
    debian-user> /etc/network/interfaces has eth0 as setup for dhcp.
    debian-user> But even with /etc/init.d/networking restart it
    debian-user> didn't start the dhcp daemon. Once I did /sbin/pump
    debian-user> -i eth0 it immediately started working. For some
    debian-user> reason do I need to recompile pcmcia-cs ? I was using
    debian-user> a custom built deb against my previous kernel 2.2.19.
    debian-user> I noticed no errors on bootup ..

Perhaps you used the 'auto' setting on eth0? If so, take it out. Using
'auto' for PCMCIA interfaces will cause the card to fail when coming
up, because the networking interfaces are bought up before
PCMCIA. Without the 'auto' setting the PCMCIA start up will bring it
up right.

Of course, this might not be relevant in your case. Perhaps you forgot
to put the packet and config filters in your kernel too (but I guess
not, since manually starting pump worked, but, ummm...I hear pump does
not need those modules....dhcp-client does....anyway....)

Cheers!
Shyamal