Re: Spam alert

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 11:02:34AM +0800, debian@computerdatasafe.com.au wrote:
> If you are unhappy at the idea of your email address being published in
> plan view for every spammer to take and use, then I uege you to complain
> to the person who runs this list, or failing that, to the postmaster at
> the hosting site.

Don't kill the messanger.  We refuse to live in fear of spammers.  If
spam is a problem for your site, please consider using the spamcop BL
on your site (http://spamcop.net/bl.shtml), or better yet, install
spamassassin and let your users know what's going on.

Debian is about community involvement, not living in fear of petty net
terrorists.  If you want to live in fear of trolls and spammers, then
don't get involved, or go switch to a distro that caters towards
acceptance of net-abuse by munging email addresses and hiding
archives.  Realise this ultimately accomplishes nothing in anyone's
benefit:  You get a false sense of security, the spammers still get
thier email addresses.

At least here, we realise that munging accomplishes nothing but making
it harder for living folks to communicate
(http://www.interhack.net/pubs/munging-harmful/).  If you can unmung
it, so can the spammers.  Why people don't bother to think enough to
see the bleeding obvious is beyond me.

--
 .''`.     Baloo <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user