Re: Directory permissions

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 12:51:05PM -0500, sean finney wrote:
> that brings up a question i've been wondering:  is the FHS merely a
> guideline that debian packages follow, or is it something that debian
> users are also strongly recommended to follow as well?  granted i might
> be a hypocrite for nitpicking one fhs violation and suggesting another,
> but having /music symlinked to /usr/local/music saves my poor hands
> unwanted keystrokes.

The FHS is a standard for distributions to follow, the idea being that
distributions will therefore be consistent and will not leave cruft
all over the place.

The FHS is _not_ a hard and fast rule that _users_ must follow.  Indeed,
the FHS makes it easier for users to set up whatever directory
structures they choose without fear that the distribution will blow
things up.

Fore example, one of my servers has a large /mp3 directory.  It also
has a large /share directory which is shared to windows hosts with
samba.  I don't feel guilty about these "violations" :)

  It doesn't matter what you are doing, emacs is always overkill.
          -- Stephen J. Carpenter