Re: Directory permissions

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 11:10:36PM +1300, Haralambos Geortgilakis wrote:

> So, I have a directory, on a Win-FAT-32 partition, with various
> sub-directories & I wanna access then as a plain user.
>
> Um, like what is the syntax dude/dudette?

Hello

I would first make some changes to /etc/fstab.  I have the following in mine:

   /dev/hda1       /mnt/win1       vfat    defaults,ro,user,noauto 0       0

You would need to change /dev/hda1 to reflect the partition that your windows
stuff is on. The directory /mnt/win1 is nothing special just make sure that
any directory name you put in /etc/fstab exists and if it don't make it.

The vfat option is for fat-32 filesystems.
The ro option makes the filesystem read-only when mounted. If I want to
be rw (read-write) I mount it as root, with the following:

   mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/win1

The user option allows normal users access to the filesystem and the
noauto makes sure that the filesystem is not automatically loaded when
the systems boots.

Anyway, once you have an entry in /etc/fstab, it is easy to mount the
filesystem. In my case I would use:

   mount /mnt/win1

The command you use will, of course, vary according to how you decide
to make your /etc/fstab.

t.irvine