Re: Manually starting X---Update

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 08:23:04AM -0800, Joe Riel wrote:
> Here is the latest on my problem starting X manually.
>
> First, I'm running the stable version of version (obtained from the CDrom distribution).
> M/B is an Intel D845GBV (1.6GHz P4).
> Video is from the on-board device, there is no separate graphics card.
>
> I modified the /etc/X11/default-display-manager so that no dm was selected.
> After rebooting the system came up with a console login (no gui login, as
> was the previous case).  I logged in as a user (not root) and ran
> startx >& joeX.log.  The screen went black, the monitor "thunked", and
> then the screen returned to the console.  X was running somewhere in
> the background, but I couldn't get it on the display.
> I then tried the same thing as root.  This time the "screen" did not return to
> the console, it just stayed black.  I opened a tty port and killed X.
>
> I posted a few files to my web page:
>
> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4  -->  http://www.k-online.com/~joer/XF86Config-4
> error log from starting X as user (joe) --> http://www.k-online.com/~joer/joeX.log
> error log from starting X as root --> http://www.k-online.com/~joer/rootX.log
>
> When I first checked the error log from startx, I noticed that
> there were some error messages due to a misconfigured mouse.
> I commented out appropriate sections of XF86Config-4;
> the file posted has those sections commented out.
>
> I then restored /etc/X11/default-display-manager so that it points to xdm.
> Following a reboot, the system started as before (gui login). Logging out of the
> system had the same problem (black screen, no way to login back into X).
>
> Is my next step to purchase a video-card and not use the built-in video circuitry
> on the Intel m/b?  That seems a bit drastic. I'm reluctant to continue with my
> install until I have a reasonably functional system...
>
> Joe Riel

1. Referring to your initial post, instead of booting to get another gui
   login screen after terminating the previous one you might try to
   issue
       /etc/init.d/xdm restart.
   This is not a solution in the long run but can help you to identify
   where the problem is.
2. You might try posting your problem to debian-x@lists.debian.org.

--

    Shaul Karl, shaulka@bezeqint.n e t