Re: Manually starting X

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 10:10:48AM -0800, Joe Riel wrote:
> I have installed a basic X system (Woody stable).
> When the system boots, the gui login window comes up.
> When the window manager (twm) is shutdown,
> the screen goes black and the login window does not reappear.
>
> To get back into X I have to open a terminal console, login as root,
> and reboot the machine. Needless to say, this isn't convenient.
> As a workaround, I'm wondering how to change the init procedure
> so that X does not start (I tried removing the S99Xdm script in
> /etc/rc2.d; that did prevent X from starting but running startx
> had problems; I'm guessing parts of S99Xdm script
> must be run).

Lazy ass way is put exit 0 on the top of init.d/xdm script
OS independent way is s/S??xdm/K??xdm/ in /etc/rc.d/

Real way is use update-rc.d in Debian.

> Any suggestions on the proper way to setup the box
> so that it doesn't auto-start X?  Even better would be
> a suggestion for getting the gui login window back; however,
> I suspect that that is related to the problem I with not
> being able to reconnect to X via Alt-F7.

Above will do that  Use startx to start X

I just updated Chapter 9 in my reference which now have ample info on
how to set up X customized per user.  See below qref.sf.net URL.

Cheers :-)
        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract