Re: Manually starting X

On November 7, 2002 13:04, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Joe Riel <joer@k-online.com> [2002-11-07 10:10:48 -0800]:
> > I have installed a basic X system (Woody stable).
> > When the system boots, the gui login window comes up.
>
> Which gui?  xdm, kdm, or gdm, or other?
>
> > When the window manager (twm) is shutdown,
> > the screen goes black and the login window does not reappear.
>
> Ouch.  Something is certainly wrong.

I had the same problems.  I think it was actually a kde 2.2 thing for
me.  Every so often the screen would just go black on logout and I
would have to kill X.  Upgrading to KDE 3.x solved the problem.

Also I've never gotten xdm to work.  If it starts automatically I cant
log in.  I enter the correct username and password but it just
doesn't start my window manager and stays at the password screen.
kdm works just fine.  This was the same on both my machines, XP 1600+
and Celery 333.

leo