Re: How to add "testing" source to my apt.conf?

Sam Rosenfeld <sam@wdn.com> [2002-11-06 12:55:54 -0500]:
> On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 09:59:46PM +1100, Nick Hastings wrote:
> >    your subject line asks what to add to apt.conf. ... the short
> > answer is nothing, to upgrade using apt-get you need to edit
> > /etc/apt/sources.list. Replace all instances of "potato" with "woody".
>
> Have been using "stable" in my /etc/apt/sources.list and now have switched to
> woody.  Can I use the same sources.list as I've used with potato and simply
> replace "stable" with "woody"?

Today 'woody' _is_ 'stable'.  You will find a symlink from one to the
other.  Therefore you certainly can change from one to the other
without any problems as they are exactly the same.  But stick with
stable instead of the named release.

I would stick with 'stable' so that when 'sarge' is released and
becomes stable you will get the update "at that time".  Yes, we know
that sarge is not ready for release today.  But when it does release
in the future it will be better than the current woody and you will
want it.  Keeping 'stable' there facilitates keeping your system on
the release considered the best 'stable' release of Debian.

> Old sources.list
>
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free

Looks great to me.  I would leave it just like that.  Make sure you
have the security updates line added:

  deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main

The stable bits are stable in that they don't change.  Therefore
updates are placed elsewhere.  This is the incremental delta to the
frozen released bits.

Bob