Re: Microsoft's plans to kill open source: TCPA

On Sun, 03 Nov 2002 08:07:02 +0000
Alan Chandler <alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk> wrote:

> On Sunday 03 November 2002 5:27 am, John S. J. Anderson wrote:
> > "Larry Alkoff" <labradley@mindspring.com> writes:
> > > In the meantime, can anyone please tell me what  this TCPA is all
> > > about?
> >
> > Have a look at Ross Anderson's excellent TCPA / Palladium FAQ at
> > <http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html>.
>
> I am not convinced that Open Source will be killed by this.  This
> question is addressed at No 18 in the above FAQ - but the argument
> used is not very convincing.
>
> If Microsoft can write an operating system that will boot up with the
> Fritz chip, then why can't the Open Source community.

It seems the problem is not how to do it but how to pay for it.
Every new version of every program needs to be certified and that will
cost a lot of $$ - I am sure somebody will see to that. And thats just
the economical problem.Politically free software couldn't be free
anymore under these circumstances.

Prost,

Klaus