Re: Microsoft's plans to kill open source: TCPA

Alan Chandler wrote:

> If we then have a situation where Windows software has all these controls
> built in to it - with keys being controlled back at Redmond, and Linux  with
> the keys being controlled by the owner of the PC (I am assuming the open
> source community will still use the facilities provided by the hardware - but
> will ensure that the software installer has the control) - then won't this
> just provide greater commercial pressure for people to switch to open source
> than now?

If intel or anyone else puts the DRM controls in their chips, it'll
sure be a big incentive to buy some chinese or russian clones without
DRM.

M$ relies on x86 hardware. Linux can be ported to anything. Someone
like Sun or some other hardware maker should mass produce non x86 PCs.
That'll jettison M$ *and* intel from everyones worries.