Re: Installing new software

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 01:05:08PM +0100, David Jones wrote:
> Hi,
> I am running Debian Potato with XFree86 3. I have a full woody set of CD's but am unable to get XFree86 4 to work at all. Unfortunately, I can't use
> any of the other software on the woody cds because the system always wants to upgrade everything including X, which then won't work.
> How can I use the updated versions of say gimp, mozilla apache etc without the need to update X.
> I will come back to the problem with X later but at the moment I would just like to use the other updated packages.
> Is this possible and if so how?

To use Woody packages you'll probably need to upgrade because of the
library dependecies. Alternative is to install source packages and
compile them for potato environment.

There are some unofficial XFree86 4.x packages at
http://people.debian.org/~cpbotha/ that were develop to run on potato.

--
Jerome