Re: VMWare on Debian and VPN on Windows

nate, 2002-Nov-02 13:29 -0800:
> Andy Saxena said:
> > Does anybody have any experience running VMWare on Debian hosting
> > Windows (preferably Win2K) and using Windows VPN software?

I run woody and vmware 3.2 with Windows 2000 as the virtual machine.
I have both host and bridge mode running so I can connect to the local
host system as well as have a bridged connection.

> There are other products, such as Cisco's VPN line which support
> IPSec encapsulated inside of UDP packets, which work perfectly in
> every NAT enviornment I've worked with, and I've personally tested
> it in VMware on win2k on debian in bridged mode behind a NAT box
> with flawless results.

I use the Nortel Contivity VPN Client and it works perfectly.  It uses
IPSec as well and works with NAT.

> I think I read recently that the IPSec-over-UDP implimtation
> is to be(or perhaps already is) integrated into the 'official'
> IPSec spec, so chances are more vendors will support it in
> the future.

Nortel calls this "NAT-Traversal".

> (I don't want to get into a NAT flamewar, I find NAT useful in
> many enviornments and am very gratified that some software vendors
> make products to accomidate me)

Agreed.  It's been a pretty good work-around that has solved all the
addressing problems I'm aware of.  I also like the freedom it provide
in creating private newtworks.  I wonder if IPv6 will ever take off.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User