Making a java 1.4.1 deb

Is there some way that I can use the Sun Linux install binary and
convert it to a deb so that when Blackdown releases theirs, my system
will automatically upgrade to their version?  Actually, Blackdown has a
binary install version for 1.4.1 beta but no deb package.  Is it
possible to use this and somehow make it into a .deb?

Having never made a deb before, I don't know where to start or even if
this is possible from the Sun binary.

I have been running jdk1.4.1 beta for the past 3 months which I got from
Sun's download area and it works fine.  Why can't it be a .deb so that
the package management system can maintain it?  I don't trust my ability
to keep abreast of security fixes etc. in the longer term.

I don't mean this email to be any criticism of the speed at which java
.debs are released.  More of an inquiry as to whether there is anything
that I can do about it.

Cheers.
Mark.