Docsis Cable Modem

I just got my Cable modem upgraded from the cable company.  It is a
Terayon TJ615 Docsis modem.  My configuration hasn't changed from my
older Terayon cable modem.  The problem is this, the modem seems to be
constantly receiving something, showing up as about a ~2k download in
my network monitor.  The installer said that its "normal" for the modem
to be contantly receiving (unlike the old one).  But the real problem
is when I go to a shell (control-alt-f1) I am getting  a constant
stream of messages something starting with "IN eth0 O"T=MAC ff:ff
etc..." making it impossible to use the tty console.

No big deal right now, but if an emergency arises where X is fried, I
cannot even login to the shell becuase the contant stream of messages
disrupting what I type in.  How do I stop these messages from
interupting my shell?

Oh, and this problem did happen with the old modem, it was just only
every few minutes a message would appear so it wasn't fatal.

Using Debian Unstable.
Thanks.