netscape opens mozilla window if mozilla is running: why? (not how)

Hello.

According to alternatives, this is the situation:

netscape -> /usr/X11R6/bin/netscape -> /etc/alternatives/netscape
->/usr/lib/netscape/477/communicator/communicator-smotif ->
/usr/lib/netscape/base-4/wrapper

In this last script, the variable "use_ns_remote" set to yes causes another
mozilla window to be opened whenever invoking netscape with mozilla already
running. (thanks to Google for that)

Since I'm quite new to Debian, what is the rationale behind netscape-remote?
And why running netscape should open another mozilla window? Maybe, I say
maybe ;-), if I type 'netscape' I want netscape and not another mozilla
window, maybe because I need to test something specifically with netscape.

Am I missing some obvious debian-specific thing or may I rush off to file a
bugreport?

TIA,
Andrea.

--
Mä muistan sen kirkkaan päivän, sen kesän ja sen valon häivän
Heinä haisi, puut tuoksui, linnut lauloi vaan