Re: CUPS, what's wrong?

This one time, at band camp, Calber Chainy said:
> Hello list:
>
> I wanted to have a print server and heard of cups.
>
> I want to have remote control of the server and heard i could do it easily using
> cups and a navigator.
>
> So i did a little of apt-getting and edited the cupsd.conf file in /etc/cupsys.
>
> Theese are the detailes I changed:
>
> ServerName reorx
> ServerAdmin root@reorx
> Port 631
> HostNameLookups On
> BrowseProtocols cups
> BrowseAdress 192.168.0.255   (my broadcast lan adress)
> BrowseAllow 192.168.0.255    (again)
> BrowseDeny All
> BrowseOrder allow,deny
> BrowsePort 631
>

> When I try to connect to port 631 from other machine it says I am not
> authorised.
>
> Any Ideas??
>
> Thanks A lot.
>
> Chainy.

Make sure you have:
Browsing On
and you should have 2 stanzas like so:
<Location />
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From 192.168.0.255
</Location>

<Location /admin>
AuthType Basic
AuthClass System
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From 192.168.0.255
</Location>

This allows browsing and administration from anywhere in the LAN - check
out the comments in the config file for details of what each feature
does.  By default, CUPS doesn't allow remote administration, so you have
to change these to values similar to above to make it work and then
restart it (/etc/init.d/cupsys restart).

HTH,
Steve
--
This novel is not to be tossed lightly aside, but to be hurled with great force.
		-- Dorothy Parker