Problem with libesd-alsa

I have been trying to get ALSA working for a while now. Yesterday, that
HOWTO was posted, and was just what I needed. I followed all the steps,
and when doing `/etc/init.d/alsa start`, there was no error about cards.

There was no error at all, but it wasn't actually starting, as
`/etc/init.d/alsa stop` reported that ALSA was not running. I then used
lsmod to try to figure out why, and discovered that the OSS modules were
still inserted, so I used modconf to remove them and add the ALSA module
for my sound card (C-Media 8738). XMMS's alsa output plugin works fine
with this now.

But, trying to get everything working with ALSA, I installed
libesd-alsa0.
Now, ESD doesn't work at all. When I try to run the daemon, I get this:

[/home/rizen] # esd
Couldn't open any alsa card! Last card tried was 0
Error opening card 0: Sound protocol is not compatible
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 16bit failed
Trying 44.1Khz, 8bit stereo.
Couldn't open any alsa card! Last card tried was 0
Error opening card 0: Sound protocol is not compatible
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 48Khz, 16bit stereo.
Couldn't open any alsa card! Last card tried was 0
Error opening card 0: Sound protocol is not compatible
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 22.05Khz, 8bit stereo.
Couldn't open any alsa card! Last card tried was 0
Error opening card 0: Sound protocol is not compatible
Audio device open for 22.05Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 44.1Khz, 16bit mono.
Couldn't open any alsa card! Last card tried was 0
Error opening card 0: Sound protocol is not compatible
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 22.05Khz, 8bit mono.
Couldn't open any alsa card! Last card tried was 0
Error opening card 0: Sound protocol is not compatible
Audio device open for 22.05Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 11.025Khz, 8bit stereo.
Couldn't open any alsa card! Last card tried was 0
Error opening card 0: Sound protocol is not compatible
Audio device open for 11.025Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 11.025Khz, 8bit mono.
Couldn't open any alsa card! Last card tried was 0
Error opening card 0: Sound protocol is not compatible
Audio device open for 11.025Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 8.192Khz, 8bit mono.
Couldn't open any alsa card! Last card tried was 0
Error opening card 0: Sound protocol is not compatible
Audio device open for 8.192Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 8Khz, 8bit mono.
Couldn't open any alsa card! Last card tried was 0
Error opening card 0: Sound protocol is not compatible
Sound device inadequate for Esound. Fatal.

Has anyone ever encountered this before? Any idea how to solve this
problem?

TIA

--
Theodore Reed (rizen/bancus)   -==-   http://surreality.us:8080/~rizen/
~GPG/PGP Signed/Encrypted Mail Preferred; Finger me for my public key!~

"Neither individuals nor corporations have any right to come into court
and ask that the clock of history be stopped, or turned back, for their
private benefit." -- Robert A. Heinlein