Re: Cannot login to netatalk server

alnesbit@optushome.com.au wrote:
> I have a very small private LAN with only two machines:
>
> * a Debian box running netatalk 1.5.5 server
>
> * a TiBook running Mac OS X Jaguar
>
> and connected via Ethernet crossover cable.  The network seems to work
> fine for other network functions (for example, ping and ssh), but I am
> unable to login to the Debian box from the TiBook via Appletalk.
>
> When I do Go -> Connect to server from the Finder on the TiBook, the
> Debian box shows up in the "Connect to server" window.  I then select it
> and enter my username and password to the Debian box.  After quite a
> while, authentication fails and I get an error message
>
> "Login failed. Unknown user, incorrect password or log on disabled. Please
> retype the name and password or contact the server's administrator."

I recall that I had to set up my IIsi Mac with a shorter and simpler
password than I wanted to use. Try keeping the password 8 characters or
less. If that does not work, try keeping the password all lower case.

Of course, my problems could have caused by the age of my Mac.

--
David Raeker-Jordan
mailto:rkrjrdn@epix.net