Re: video on laptop - Compaq Armada 1750

On Saturday 02 November 2002 11:08, David Pastern wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Hopefully simple question that sort of has me stumped.  I have a Compaq
> Armada 1750, that i've installed Debian Woody bf24 kernel onto.  I've
> chosen the ATI module for Xfree86 (which is the correct module I believe).
> Interestingly at bootup the LCD screen flashes white, making text or
> anything for that matter impossible to read.  I shut the laptop down at
> this point as I believe it will damage the video card/LCD screen.  Now i'm
> not sure why it does this, and would love an explanation (or a pointer to a
> website etc that specifically explains it).  I end up booting linux as:
>
> linux video=vga16:off
>
> That fixes the issue.  I'm not sure what all of that line actually means, I
> can guess the vga refers to vga = 16 bit, I have no idea what the off
> means. My question is how do I automate this?  It becomes tiresome to have
> to do this each time I boot the machine up.  I've had a look at lilo.conf
> and it has a line for "vga=".   I've read the man pages for lilo, lilo.conf
> and also read the BootPrompt -HOWTO, and also a few linux books I have
> lying around here at home, but none of them clearly indicate what I should
> do, or how.  As far as I can see, if I set vga in lilo to "vga=ask" it will
> prompt me for video settings the next time I boot up.  I'm not sure if
> that's what I want and i'm hesitant to try it without some good
> confirmation that i'm heading in the right direction.
>
> My lilo file is a standard lilo file on a fresh debian install.  Laptop is
> not on the network and will not easily be placed on the network here (I
> seem to have lost the dongle for the pcmcia network card and despite 6
> months of looking have not found it).  I've had a look at the XF86Config-4
> file and it looks OK to my eyes.  Here are details of the monitor section
> from said config file:
>
> Identifier	"Generic Monitor"
> HorizSync	28-48
> VertRefresh	43-72
> Option		"DPMS"
>
> Here are screen details:
>
> Section  "Screen"
> Identifier	"Default Screen"
> Device		"Generic Video Card"
> Monitor		"Generic Monitor"
> DefaultDepth	24
> SubSection  "Display"
> 	Depth		1
> 	Modes		"800x600"  "640x480"
> EndSubSection
> SubSection  "Display"
> 	Depth		4
> 	Modes		"800x600"  "640x480"
> EndSubSection
> SubSection  "Display"
> 	Depth		8
> 	Modes		"800x600"  "640x480"
> EndSubSection
> SubSection  "Display"
> 	Depth		15
> 	Modes		"800x600"  "640x480"
> EndSubSection
> SubSection  "Display"
> 	Depth		16
> 	Modes		"800x600"  "640x480"
> [...]

video="vga16:off" disable the framebuffer (a mean to use the console in
graphic mode; which allow to see the linux pinguin).

To disable it permanently put

append="video=vga16:off"

just after image= ...

in /etc/lilo.conf

(I have also had to disable it for a laptop computer)