Re: html as background

On Sat, 2002-11-02 at 14:12, Lance Hoffmeyer wrote:
> Anyone know if there is a way to put an htnl page
> as a background in a window manager (windowmaker)?

There are some window managers that allow you to set the windows as
"stacked". That is stuck to the bottom or top of the window stack. ie.
Always on top or always on bottom. A patched version of blackbox does
this, and you launch programmes in a stacked state with bblaunch.

Thus you could start a stacked mozilla programme during startup and use
the geometry flag to specify its exact co-ordinated from off the
top-left somewhere to off the bottom right.

eg. put in the .xsession file

bblaunch -k 2 mozilla -geometry -10-50+1040x900 &

or whatever...

This would replace a desktop mind you. You desktop and its icons are in
the root window which is behind your new "pseudo-root" window.

I don't know whether I'd do it like that (I think it would be better to
bottom stack a shell window than a browser, or a transparent, borderless
shell window showing a nice backdrop and the shell is tailing the system
logs ...), but it certainly is possible. Check to see if windowmaker
supports this feature.

Kind Regards
Crispin Wellington