Re: Kernel Panic | boot | Unable to mount root fs | Reiser FS

    "Mariano" == Mariano Kamp <mkamp@gmx.de> writes:

    Mariano> Seneca, thank you. That was an impressive answer.

    >> Does your kernel have reiserfs support compiled into it ( not
    >> module)?  You can check in /boot/config-$KERNEL
    Mariano> To be honest .. I don't know for certain if I can give
    Mariano> you the right answer to it. I started from the cd with
    Mariano> bf24 and when going to the console there is no
    Mariano> /boot/config-$KERNEL.  For the system I wanted to install
    Mariano> I was going for the standard kernel bf24, selected
    Mariano> ReiserFS as my filesystem and expected it to work.

bf24 has ReiserFS built into the kernel.

http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/bf2.4/kernel-config

says:

CONFIG_REISERFS_FS=y

so that should not be your problem.

    Mariano> So I believe I am in a kind of chicken and egg situation
    Mariano> here.  I cannot boot the system, because I want the root
    Mariano> filesystem to be ReiserFS, but debian bf24 ships without,
    Mariano> so that I am not able to compile a new kernel.

Sorry, can't help more - I have not used a SCSI disk with Linux since
1996. I used to love 'em.

Cheers!
Shyamal