Kernel Panic | boot | Unable to mount root fs | Reiser FS

Hi,

  a couple of hours ago I used to have a SuSE 8.1, Kernel 2.4.18, system
with an ide and scsi drive. The system used to boot from the scsi drive.

  During this morning I wanted to _upgrade_ the system to debian.
Therefore I started the woody installation from cdrom and partitioned
the hd with the provided tool from the installation menu.

  I created three primary partitions:

        * /dev/sda1     8 MB, Type Linux
        * /dev/sda2   512 MB, Type Swap
        * /dev/sda3    17 GB, Type Linux

  I initialized /dev/sda2 as swap, /dev/sda1 as ext3 and /dev/sda3 as
reiserfs.

  /dev/sda3 has been mounted as "/".

  [ ... loads of installation details omitted ... ]

  The last step before rebooting was to make the system bootable. I
selected

        A. to boot from /dev/sda1
        B. to boot from /dev/sda3

  I repeated the steps a couple of times and can't remember each step
exactly, but I've been asked to confirm that having an IDE and SCSI
drive can result in not beeing able to boot from the SCSI drive. I don't
believe that this is the problem though as it is working fine with the

  No matter if I used A or B when booting the machine it says "L " and
then adds "01 " constantly. No LILO, no nothing.

  Using the CDROM to boot the system and issuing the following commands
at the lilo prompt

        A. rescue boot=/dev/sda
        B. rescue boot=/dev/sda1
        C. rescue boot=/dev/sda3

  Linux comes up, but panics. The last lines read like this:

	[network stuff]
	Partition check:
	 hda: [PTBL] [2433/255/63] hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 >
	[ apm stuff ]
	request_module[block-major-58]: Root fs not mounted
	VFS: Cannot open root device 3a:05
	Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 3a:05

  Any ideas?

  Should I try something else but Reiser fs? What type would I have to
had set when using cfdisk for Reiser fs?

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Mariano

Woody, installation from retailed cd, Compaq SP750, One XEON1G, 512MB