Hi,

I just wanted to sum up the issue I was experiencing.  The emu10k1
depends on the ac97_codec.  As both Matt and Bob pointed out modprobe
would cover this dependacy.

After confirming things worked, I rebuit my kernel successfully with
emu10k1 built in which also works as prior research suggested.

Thanks for the help :)

wolftales

[Bob wrote]

Try 'modprobe emu10k1' instead.  But even better use 'modconf'.

  modconf

Page down to the emu10k1 driver.  Select it.  Have modconf handle the
setting up of this in your system.  This is my recommendation.

Bob

On Thu, 2002-10-31 at 15:29, Matthias Hentges wrote:
> Am Don, 2002-10-31 um 23.57 schrieb Wolftales:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to troubleshoot why I do not have sound on my system
> > (specific info below). I have had this hardware configuration working
> > before, using a customer kernel and frozen at the time.
> >

> > What is the cause? Is there a way to fix the module so the kernel can
> > remain stock?  Has anyone else ran into related issues with the SB Live
> > card and stock kernels & modules?
> >
> > Thank you for any insight into this. Please feel free to request any
> > additional information I can provide.
> >

> > system error messages and config below
> >
> > System:		x86
> > sound card:	SB live! 5.1
> > Kernel:		2.4.18-bf2.4-xfs
> > OS:		Sarge
> >
> > error:
> >
> > sandbox:~# insmod emu10k1
> > Using
> > /lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o
> > /lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o:
> > unresolved symbol ac97_probe_codec
> > /lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o:
> > unresolved symbol ac97_read_proc
>
> Just to be sure: did you try a "modprobe" emu10k1?
> emu10k1 needs the module ac97_codec which must be loaded before
> insmodding emu10k1 AFAIK. A modprobe will load this module automagically
> for you.
>
> > system info:
> >
> > sandbox:/usr/src/linux# lsmod
> > Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
[...]
--
Wolftales                       \/A Debian/GNU linux user\/    ,''`.
UNIX is user friendly,                                        : :' :