Re: biff replacement

-- Karl E. Jorgensen <karl@jorgensen.com> wrote
(on Friday, 01 November 2002, 01:15 AM +0000):
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:34:34PM -0500, Justin Miller wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know of a good replacement? I would like to be notified of new mail
> > but biff does this in a very inelegant way. For example, if I am in vi it will
> > spam my screen.
>
> What about a sound? A "boing"-type think:
>
> End of ~/.procmailrc:
>
>     :0 cW
>     | esdplay your-favourite.wav
>
> you probably want to make sure that the wav is reasonably short...
>

> > Also, when I get new mail biff only lets me know what folder it is in.
> > I would like to be able to find out who sent it, when, and what the
> > title is.
>
> xbuffy?
>
> or ...
>
> More ~/.procmailrc stuff?  A shell script using xmessage? Go really
> overboard with festival?
I'm not the original poster, but I, too am curious about this. I started
using screen a couple months ago, and, as a result, am much more
terminal oriented. To further complicate matters, mail comes in to my
server, and I retrieve it via IMAP. I have gkrellm on my desktop, and I
can see when I receive mail, but I often find I don't even go into X...
which means I have to periodically switch to my mutt screen to see if I
have any messages and where.

I've looked into netbiffd, but no matter how I configure it, it doesn't
notify me ever. Anybody out there using a CLI biff that can poll IMAP?

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net