Re: The Real Problem With Debian

Robert Ian Smit wrote:

* Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> [02-10-2002 12:39]:
What are you talking about???  How about not using Windows because
using Windows, Office, WMP, etc, puts money into the pocket of a
blatant, unrepentant criminal organization?

That's not politics, that's morality.

That's not morality, that's preaching.
I too, have problems with the morality/ethics of supporting Microsoft. I see no problem with Ron pointing out that there are concerns here.

If you want to get away from Windows because of fincancial reasons,
just warez the appz.
Maybe we think that breaking the "You shall not steal" law is A Bad
Thing and will lead to Unpleasant Social Consequences.

And all the honest people lived long and happily after.
(I am not getting in to a discussion about ethics on this list)
I too, believe that "You shall not steal", irregardless of whether I live long and happily ever after. Accordingly, I'd encourage people to not "warez the appz". Most of your original post I could appreciate, even it I didn't particularly agree with specific points, but I strongly take exception to the suggestion to steal. That's one of the reasons I love Debian and Free software in general; you don't have to be concerned that you've stolen it because you've failed to keep accurate records of licenses, or if you've paid for that copy or for this one, etc. Debian gives me freedom to know that I'm honest when using it. It's a good feeling.

(BTW, I'm convinced that society as a whole would indeed live "long and happily after" if society as a whole were honest.")

Kent