Re: The Real Problem With Debian

* Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> [02-10-2002 12:39]:
> What are you talking about???  How about not using Windows because
> using Windows, Office, WMP, etc, puts money into the pocket of a
> blatant, unrepentant criminal organization?
>
> That's not politics, that's morality.

That's not morality, that's preaching.

> > If you want to get away from Windows because of technical reasons,
> > why would you want something that looks or acts like what you just
> > ran away from.
>
> Again, what are you talking about???  WIMP/GUI are generic concepts,
> invented back when Bill Gates was in Junior High School.  So, any
> GUI will have at least a passing resemblance to Win32.

Sure, but I try to look at it from a newbies perspective. I get
frustrated by using Windows, but I know that _no_ distribution will
have the same out of the box experience as Microsoft for someone who
has yet to get a clue. If you try to sell Linux on those
capabilities you'll lose more people than you win.

> > If you want to get away from Windows because of personal reasons,
> > get a Playstation and bitchslap prostitutes in some game.
>
> Take a Prozac or 12.

Thanks man, just kicked Efexor, but maybe I should consider.

> > If you want to get away from Windows because of fincancial reasons,
> > just warez the appz.
>
> Maybe we think that breaking the "You shall not steal" law is A Bad
> Thing and will lead to Unpleasant Social Consequences.

And all the honest people lived long and happily after.

(I am not getting in to a discussion about ethics on this list)

> > Am I oversimplifying stuff?
>
> Yes.

And intentionally so.

I know that reading between the lines is a skill in itself,  but
come on Ron, did you really miss the point completely?

Bob