Re: problem with sound card from a newbie

Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:

i have been using windows for quite some time now and am contemplating to shift to linux. so i am a 'newbie' to linux - in short. i recently installed debian 3.0 on my compaq making it a dual boot machine. it is a piii 766mhz machine with on board sound card.

while installing, in the section of device driver modules, i have included i810. it also selected some yamaha ac97 and reported it to be a success.

now, my system boots up and as a user i can log into it. however, none of the sound files can play. kde's control panel shows that there is no sound card.

i do not know what to do now. stuck - in a way. looking forward to some help. something that will be step by step and simple for even a layman like me.

thanx in advance

sandip

I would suggest reducing your system to a simpler configuration by killing X for testing purposes, because KDE and Gnome have sound daemons which can "get in the way". Just logging out of X should be sufficient, although you could also kill your session-manager if you have one running (something like "/etc/init.d/kdm stop").

Then make sure you have a console-mode sound player (apt-get install splay).

Now try playing an ogg (or if you must, .mp3) file like so: splay myrockingtune.ogg

What are the results?

You might need to run a mixer (like alsamixer or amixer) to unmute the audio or to up the volume.

Also, you'll need to be in the audio group (just type "groups" to see what groups you're in; to add yourself to audio, as root type "addgroup your_user_name audio").

You can also check out the results of "lspci" to make sure Linux agrees with you as to what sound card you have.

Also "lsmod" will show you the loaded modules.

Hopefully these tidbits will help get you a little further along.

Kent