problem with sound card from a newbie

i have been using windows for quite some time now and am contemplating to shift to linux. so i am a 'newbie' to linux - in short. i recently installed debian 3.0 on my compaq making it a dual boot machine. it is a piii 766mhz machine with on board sound card.

while installing, in the section of device driver modules, i have included i810. it also selected some yamaha ac97 and reported it to be a success.

now, my system boots up and as a user i can log into it. however, none of the sound files can play. kde's control panel shows that there is no sound card.

i do not know what to do now. stuck - in a way. looking forward to some help. something that will be step by step and simple for even a layman like me.

thanx in advance

sandip