Re: More Trials and tribulations

On Mon, 2002-09-30 at 00:05, lameth wrote:
> Okay after finally getting x-windows to start. I have three new problems;
> 1 I'm using xdm to start my x-windows session and it starts kde. I'd
> much rather use gnome, how do I change to gdm.

apt-get install gdm

Then, if debconf doesn't ask you during the install which you want to be
default dm:

dpkg-reconfigure gdm

Then, when you're happy that gdm is doin' the do for you:

apt-get remove xdm

Don't worry about the x-window-system package getting removed
automatically - it's a metapackage which only exists to depend on other
packages to ease installation.

> 2 I have a sound blaster live value card installed but the sound server
> isn't worker, can someone point in the right direction to configure the
> sound modules.

Make sure you've got sound and the SB Live! driver (emu10k1) compiled
right kernel-wise, and then cheat:

apt-get install sndconfig

> 3 I have my ppp connection configured but I can't connect to the
> internet while I'm logged in as my everyday user, or at will as root.
> When I was using Mandrake linux kde had Kppp but I didn't see it in any
> of the menus. Could someone give me an idea of how to solve this?

apt-get install kppp ?

Hope this helps.

P.
--