Chris Vogelsang's ripmake with Woody (and Marillat packages)?

Is anyone using this successfully?  I find that I get "broken pipe" errors.
Vogelsang has suggested I look for the offending line in the makefile and
check the executable ... but I don't know anything about make except that
RMS wrote it.  I can't locate any lines in the file that correspond to the
commands that fail.

Here's a transcript:

    [export_toolame.so] cmd=toolame -s 44.100 -b 224 -m j - "mst3k - 0322 -
    master ninja i-vcd_sample-a0.mp2" 2>/dev/null
    (af6_decore.cpp) file audio: MPEG Layer-3, 0 bits, 2CH, sample rate =
    44100Hz
    (af6_decore.cpp) output audio: PCM, 16 bits, 2CH, sample rate = 44100Hz
    make: *** [audio_sample-a0] Broken pipe

In the makefile, these are the only references to toolame:

    OUTPUTA =-y null,toolame
    OUTPUTAV=-y mpeg2enc,toolame

But there are NO other occurences of the string OUTPUTA, so I haven't a clue
what line actually calls toolame.  And there are no pipe symbols in the
whole makefile.

Is there any way to make, er cause a makefile to echo every line as it's
executed, or have the subshell it calls (I assume) echo its inputs?

Thanks.
--
Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum