Re: security update

On Friday 27 September 2002 11:20, Timur V. Irmatov wrote:
> Hi, people!
>
> I'm just install new Debian 3.0 and I'm happy with it..
> Also, I subscribed to debian-security mailing list and today I've
> recieved recommendation to install new libc6_2.2.5_11.2_i386.deb
>
> I have downloaded package with wget <url> and installed it with
> dpkg -i libc6_2.2.5_11.2_i386.deb
>
> But some time later I tried to install some other package with apt-get
> install and got this message:
>
>   locales: Depends: glibc-2.2.5-6
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
> specify a solution).
>
> If I try to run apt-get -f install it wants to remove two packages:
> locales and language-env...
>
> How can I fix it? Any suggestions or references to docs will be
> appreciated!
>
> Thanks!
> Timur.

I had the same problem.  I believe the problem is that on the new libc6 there
is a problem in the control file because it should include "glibc-2.2.5-6" in
the "Provides" line, but it says something similar which doesn't work.

What I did was install a dummy package using equivs to make the system think
I have the requested package installed (glibc-2.2.5-6).  So far everything is
working well. It's just that, even if libc6 provides glibc, it just doesn't
let the system know that.

Good luck!

Ronald

P.S.  If you wish to give it a try I can send you the .deb dummy package.