From: Bob Proulx [mailto:bob@proulx.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2002 8:50 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Setting up Sendmail

Michael Olds <MikeOlds@pacbell.net> [2002-09-26 20:02:54 -0700]:
> I am having some difficulty getting Sendmail up and running.

I know that Sendmail has been the workhorse of the Internet for many
years.  I have configured Sendmail cf files by hand for years and
loved the recent m4 configuration.  I am just saying that so you will
know this recommendation comes from someone who has spent much time
with sendmail and still thinks favorably of it.  But it has been
passed on both sides by other programs.

You will probably get a hundred replies to the effect that everyone
recommends that you run either Exim or Postfix.  Either are high
quality mailers.  I prefer Postfix.  It is table driven and very easy
to configure.

  apt-get install postfix

Or you could go with Exim, another fine program.  You will find a lot
of Exim users on this list and can be certain of good user support for
it here.

  apt-get install exim

Bob