Re: Ad removing proxies

At 1032452681s since epoch (09/19/02 06:24:41 -0400 UTC), Andrew Pritchard wrote:
> I've decided that I'm bored of waiting for the latest and greatest ad to
> come down doubleclick's apparently slow link.

(snip)

> What are people's impressions/evaluations of these [proxies]? Is
> there a better one I've missed?

I use squid, which may be overkill for a single machine (I use it for
a small network).  It's a very good proxy, and highly configurable
(though this means that it takes a little while to set up).

Tied into squid I have adZap:

http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/adzap/

Which is basically a giant blacklist of URLs that squid blocks ads
from.  It works very well (IMHO), and there's a cron job included to
automagically get the latest ad blocking URLs once a week.  It blocks
images, javascript, flash, and java ads, and replaces them with either
a blank space, or a message that says "This Ad Zapped".  Very nice.

I don't know much about the other proxies; you might be able to get
adZap to work with them as well if you don't need the overhead of squid.

If you want to try that approach, I can share configs if you run into
trouble.

Jason

--
Jason Healy