Re: binaries into deb's [newbie]

Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> [2002-09-15 15:09:55 +0100]:
> There's a program called apt-src which I find does this nicely.

I like Colin's suggestion best.

But I wanted to note that Debian does not prevent doing things in the
'original source makefile way'.  That is you can grab the source,
patch as prefered, make, then make install into the /usr/local tree.

If /usr/local/bin is ahead of /usr/bin in your path then you will get
your locally installed versions before the system versions.  If you
put yourself into the 'staff' group in /etc/group, logout/login to
take effect, then you can do install files in /usr/local as a non-root
user.  Debian won't overwrite copies in /usr/local.  You are
completely on your own there.

This does lose the tracking ability that you mentioned.  But it can be
useful at times for a development machine.  I would avoid doing that
on any type of production machine.

Bob