Re: downgrading from unstable to testing

On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 02:51, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> --Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder <avbidder@fortytwo.ch> wrote
> (on Wednesday, 11 September 2002, 03:53 PM +0200):
[...]

> > As downgrades are often not properly supported, you'll probably want to
> > do the same (or remove unstable sources alltogether), unless some
> > packages are really broken. As long as it works, I would not actively
> > downgrade any packages.
> Unfortunately, some of the packages no longer work -- and as I need to
> _use_ the machine, I need a certain degree of stability. I also need to
> have a machine a little more on "the bleeding edge" than woody.

Ok, then I would definitely recommend mixing stable and unstable.

> > I have to set up my preferences file to prefer testing/updates with
> > priority 750, and normally use just testing with 700. (this assumes
> > you've read man apt_preferences).
> I've read apt_preferences, and here are the contents of my
> /etc/apt/preferences file:
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release v=3.*,a=testing,c=*,o=*,l=Debian
> Pin-Priority: 1001

1001 should be ok (I've never tried it, though, as the just wait
approach has worked for me so far).

> I have also changed my sources.list to point only at testing for the
> time being. When I do an apt-show-versions -u, however, no packages are
> returned (well, on the first try, 7 were, but they were actual upgrades
> to what I had... hmmm..).
>
> I suspect that either I have the Pin wrong, or that I need to bump the
> Pin-Priority even higher... Anybody have any ideas?

Hmm. Are packages actually assigned prio 1001? What does
apt-policy <somepkg> say?

My preferences file is:
===
Package: *
Pin: release l=Debian-Security
Pin-Priority: 750

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 700

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 600
===

Where stable is in mostly to catch the stupid sort of thing that
happened to gnome-terminal. It's important that the Debian-Security
thing is first, because a=testing catches also testing-security (haven't
looked if packages ever come in here) and a=stable catches also
stable-security.

My sources.list ist (careful, linebreaks!)

===
deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main non-free contrib

deb http://debian.ethz.ch/mirror/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
deb http://debian.ethz.ch/mirror/debian-non-US/ testing/non-US main non-free contrib

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main non-free contrib

deb http://debian.ethz.ch/mirror/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
deb http://debian.ethz.ch/mirror/debian-non-US/ stable/non-US main non-free contrib

deb http://debian.ethz.ch/mirror/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib
deb http://debian.ethz.ch/mirror/debian-non-US/ unstable/non-US main non-free contrib
===

(well, almost. I use apt-cacher in between).

cheers
-- vbi

--
secure email with gpg                           http://fortytwo.ch/gpg

NOTICE: subkey signature! request key 92082481 from keyserver.kjsl.com