Re: need help detecting device XFree86 4.2.0 + savage

Thanks tim, and others who made useful comments,

i downloaded the savage 1.1.23t driver (i haven't yet learnt
how debian gets from a .deb file to ordinary linux files, so i just
used the "linux" gzipped, tarred version - here are two minor newbie
questions: (1) how do i open, read, etc a .deb file, (2) what's the
unzipping command for .bz2 files, gunzip doesn't seem to handle them)
copied it into the modules/ directory, and it works perfectly with my
ProSavage DDR (chip 8d04).  :))))

In case anyone's curious, the "vesa" driver from the 8-CD Deb3.0r0
version and 8bit depth resolution is successful in more or less
getting an X server running, with partial mouse function. The
picture quality is not that good, and the mouse has problems
distinguishing a drag from a click, e.g. with pull-down menus i could
only get the first option to function, so it's

In any case, savage 1.1.23t works fine. (So far, at least... )

Now i'm looking how to get emacs 20.7 to (1) display different
language fonts rather than just empty boxes :(, and (2) download
otfried cheong's patch on emacs 20.* in order to get decent utf-8
(unicode) handling:

http://mail.nl.linux.org/linux-utf8/1999-09/msg00140.html
http://www.cs.uu.nl/~otfried/Mule/

i couldn't get dselect to install emacs 21.*, but since otfried's
patch is on 20.*, i might as well stick to that anyway until
emacs/mule can properly handle utf-8 (including input methods...)

Anyway, i'm delighted to be part of the GNU/Linux users' community,
it's just as supportive as i expected :)

cheers
boud