Re: fonts too large

* Sean 'Shaleh' Perry (shalehperry@attbi.com) [020904 21:58]:
> On Wednesday 04 September 2002 19:50, Brian Nelson wrote:
> > But note that, as stated in xfonts-100dpi description field,
> > "xfonts-100dpi may be more suitable for large monitors and/or large
> > screen resolutions (over 1024x768)."
> >
> > In that case, you'd be better off just changing the font size manually
> > (through Gnome/KDE's control center, or whatever).
>
> maybe for those with poor eyesight but I find that 100dpi fonts are always too
> big.

Well, that's neither here nor there.  The dpi setting is useful for
setting a screen font size that correlates to a "real-world"
measurement: 1 pt is 1/72 of an inch, not an arbitrary number of pixels.
So if you're running at higher resolution, such that 100 dots take an
inch on your screen, it's more appropriate to use 100dpi fonts.  If you
want more real estate, use a smaller point size.  When using fonts whose
dpi matches your actual screen dpi, you'll find that the same point size
is the same point size and provides the same readability, whether you
use 1280 or (gasp!) 600 pixels across your screen.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/