Re: fonts too large

On Tuesday 03 September 2002 20:37, David Zelinsky wrote:
> I recently upgraded to woody (actually I ended up doing a clean
> install, for reasons I won't get into), and now most of the fonts in
> application windows are way too large.  Examples include:  menus,
> dialog boxes and input fields in netscape, mozilla, dillo and
> acroread, to name a few.  (The font preference for netscape et al only
> affect the document fonts, not the menus and toolbars.)
>
> Can anyone tell me how to change this?  I'm using xfs (tried changing
> the default-point-size in /etc/X11/fs/config but it had no effect).
> I've been using fvwm started by gdm, but it doesn't seem to matter
> which window manager or desktop I use.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> David Zelinsky

from /usr/share/doc/xfree86-common/README.Debian-upgrade.gz:

FONT AND DPI (DOTS-PER-INCH) SETTINGS SET TO 100DPI BY DEFAULT:

You should be aware that, by default, xdm and xinit (and thus startx) start
the X server using the "-dpi 100" argument, which forces the X server to
treat the display as having 100 dots per inch.  Furthermore, xfs is
configured to serve fonts with a preference for 100dpi versions over 75dpi
version if a font request could be satisfied by either, and dexconf, the
Debian X Configurator, writes XFree86 server configuration files with a
preference for the 100dpi font directory over the 75dpi directory.

This particularly affects the visible font size.  Another common default is 75
dpi; some font rasterizers do not deal well with dpi settings other than 75 or
100.

This default can be modified by editing the following conffiles:
        xdm     /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers           (see xdm(1))
        xfs     /etc/X11/fs/config              (see xfs(1))
        xinit   /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc        (see xinit(1))

The /etc/X11/XF86Config and /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 files (see the
XF86Config(7) manual page for the distinction) are not conffiles, but may
also be edited to change this default.