Re: s3virge and xfree864.1

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 09:45:17AM +0200, Romuald DELAVERGNE wrote:
> Le 2002.09.03 23:24, Anna Lawless a ?crit :
> >I have the same problem with the s3virge driver, only as long as I
> >don't go above 16 bit color I can use 1024x768 and 1280x1024.
> >Maybe reducing color depth would help? So many people have
> >reported this, and in distros other than Debian as well, I think
> >it has to be a bug or a problem with the card. I suspect a driver
> >bug as the same chipset is flicker-free under microsoft.
> >

> Yes, reducing the screen definition resolve the problem. But it's not very
> usefull to work all the time in 640x480. I also notice that there is an
> interference with the sound.
I think she was saying the scren depth -- not the resolution. This would
be under the section "Screen" and the item "DefaultDepth" in your
XF86Config. Many cards support a 24 bit or 32 bit depth, and I believe
in 3.3.6, the s3 virge may have worked at this depth. Try a value of 16
-- you really won't notice that much difference, if any -- and allow any
Modes (1024x768, 1280x1024) you might wish to use, and see what happens.

--Matthew