Re: s3virge and xfree864.1

----- Original Message -----
From: "Romuald DELAVERGNE" <delavergne@availix.fr>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: 03 September 2002 18:09
Subject: Re: s3virge and xfree864.1

Le 2002.09.03 17:05, Marcelo Chiapparini a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I am running woody plus xfree86 4.1.0-16 in a pentium pro
machine. The
> video card has a s3 virge chipset, so, the xserver-xfree86 runs
its
> s3virge drive. I have the following problem: at resolutions of
1024x768
> or better, each time the screen is updated appear spurious
horizontal
> line on it. The problem becomes worse for the high resolutions.
At
> resolutions lower than the 1024x768 the problem disappears. Does
exist a
> bug in the s3virge drive of xfree86 4.1? should I move to
xfree86 3.3.6?

I have had the same problem when I have switched from xfree86 v3
xfree86 v4. Sometimes I had little points blinking and aligned. I
didn't
have the problem under Windows. So I supposed the s3virge driver
has a
problem.
You can move to xfree86 v3 or make a bug report to xfree86.

I have the same problem with the s3virge driver, only as long as I
don't go above 16 bit color I can use 1024x768 and 1280x1024.
Maybe reducing color depth would help? So many people have
reported this, and in distros other than Debian as well, I think
it has to be a bug or a problem with the card. I suspect a driver
bug as the same chipset is flicker-free under microsoft.