Re: ACPI on notebooks? Can I burn my machine?

This one time, at band camp, Jaye Inabnit ke6sls said:

> On Monday 02 September 2002 12:29 pm, Mariano Kamp wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >   I use a Sony VAIO PCG-8A6M, GRX316G and wondering how I can tell
> >   if ACPI is setup and working?
> >
> >   I read that it is possible to burn my laptop if ACPI is not
> >   activated.  Is that true?
> >
> > Mariano
>
> I think this question might get more response on debian-laptop!
>
> I am *trying* to configure my Gateway solo 1200 for apm.  At this
> piont, I don't even have a clue if the little dude uses apm or acpi!
>
> I ran a test on the box with 'setiathome' and it became very hot.  It
> would have been impossible to keep this on ones *lap* :)

According to all reports I have manged to find, ACPI support is very
rough in the linux kernel at the moment.  Fortunately, APM is
sufficiently advanced to deal with most of the issues.  I am writing this
on an IBM Thinkpad, and:

steve:~$ uptime
 22:33:43 up 18:03,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.01,0.08

It's been up for a while without overheating.

Good luck with it.
Steve

--
All great discoveries are made by mistake.
		-- Young