Re: mysterious offer of shell for 5 sec. at boot

On Friday 21 June 2002 22:59, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> During boot (2.4.18-k7) I see something about hit RET by 5 seconds
> for shell.  So I did and there's this shell that you can't do much
> more than "set" in.  After I typed exit the  kernel couldn't find
> root and I had to hit the reset button.
>
> So what is this "shell" for?  We are on the virtual disk phase still
> here I suppose.

(Correct me if I got that wrong...)

The shell is basically a root shell based on the contents of the initrd
image that offers a limited environment for system recovery in case
something goes wrong with your filesystems.

--
Embedded Linux -- True multitasking!
TWO TOASTS AT THE SAME TIME!