Re: how to configure adsl?

#include <hallo.h>
andrej hocevar wrote on Thu May 02, 2002 um 02:51:29AM:

> I'm helping a friend configure his first Debian/Linux box. He's got adsl
> access to the internet but I don't really know what it is -- if I'm not

AFAICS there are three or more ways of using DSL:

 - direct access
 - PPtP (simple encrypted tunnel protocol)
 - PPPoE (PPP tunneled over Ethernet)

So first find out what the provider does really use.

> mistaken, he needs kernel 2.4 with pppoe support and the pppoe programs
> (pppoe, pppoeconf, ...). Is there basically anything else?

Errr, "kernel-pppoe" and "pppoe" (aka rp-pppoe) are completely different
implementations. You do not need kernel 2.4.x for Debian's pppoe.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
Linux braucht kein Mensch, aber Mensch braucht Linux!