Re: Home brew

I'm just a novice with Linux-better with hardware, I guess. I put together a Athlon
900Mhz machine and I only run Linux on it. It wouldn't be hard to install XP, but I'm
anti Microsoft. (a former Mac user) I had little problem putting together/selecting the
components. Try computergeeks.com they usually list which components are compatible
with linux. I also like mwave.com because they have a testing and match-up system for
motherboards that is very good.My only snag was getting a winmodem (I was trying to be
frugel and didn't know it was a winmodem until I received it. But now days there is
software that will allow winmodems to work. Thats what I'm using right now. Good luck
it can be done. Oh, by the way going through the internet and the merchants I mentioned
I build my computer for less than 1/2 the price range you mentioned. One more thing
there is an older issue of smart computing that gives most of the details to assembling
your own computer. Try a library or their back issues.

Quoting - <radsky@ncia.net>:

> I'd appreciate some advice on home-building a computer that will have > Linux and
> (cough) WindowsXP installed with an emphasis on Debian .
>
> I have just a vague idea of things that should be considered, --- case > style, power
> supply, cooling, choice of CPU  , motherboard with a fast FSB, chipset, > video and
> sound, voice modem,---probably just enough knowledge to be dangerous.
>
> I've read claims that integrated motherboards (video, sound, and modem)
> have worked well in Linux and also the contrary.  The same with CPU's, > (AMD Athlon,
> Intel Pentium 4 or Celeron),  one chipset better than another in Linux >
etc........It gets
> to the point where it's enough to say "I'll stick with my old slowpoke > 233 MHz box, at
> least it works in any Linux."   But, pioneering spirit says, "go for an > upgrade" (or,
> is it just 'keep up with the Joneses'?)
>
> Is there a web site that offers up to date recommendations for putting > together
> a decent, fast, computer for somewhere between $800 to $1000, (less is > better)
> one that won't require tricky patches to accept any Linux.  The few > websites I've
> found still deal in pre 2000 terms.
>
> Suggestions are welcome--general or specific.
> Alex

***Protect your PC from local E-Mail Application security holes***
***Maintain your Privacy - Passport Free***

http://www.x-mail.net Web Based E-Mail

Voice Messages, Voice Calls, Live Chat, Personal Web Hosting
128 bit SSL Secure, Calendar, Bookmarks, Forwarding, POP3

Secure Web Surfing through http://www.snoopblocker.com

Search http://www.teradex.com